In 2001, First Baptist of Bordentown celebrated its 250th Anniversary! In 1751 Baptists from Upper Freehold (Monmouth County) NJ established what would later become present day First Baptist Church of Bordentown. Today First Baptist Church is recognized as the oldest active church in Bordentown. On April 14, 1821 First Baptist was officially recognized as an “independent” church and, based on figures from around that time, was then constituted of 28 members including men and women. On May 3, 1844 the church was officially reincorporated as “First Baptist Church of Bordentown.”
First Baptist Church Bordentown helped found the Fieldsboro Baptist Chapel in 1871. The church building has been rebuilt a total of three times. The last followed the “Great Fire of 1882.” The cornerstone from the last church building remains and was incorporated in the vestibule.
At a meeting held in our church in 1863, it was decided that the State needed a Baptist school in NJ. As a result of this meeting Peddie School in Hightstown, NJ was established. Boy Scouts of America (BSA) Troop 13 first met in our church building in 1925. Members of BSA still meet in our church to this day. A new pipe organ was dedicated in October 1941. It remains in use today. The Church owns its own parsonage – built in 1953. The Church has only had four permanent pastors in the last 55 years. First Baptist Church of Bordentown has a rich 250+ year history.